Thursday, February 07, 2013

Authentic Self

There is a lady in two of my yoga classes who is probably 80 years old. She's the most beautiful lady -- her body is slim and strong, and her movements are graceful and confident. I've secretly wondered what her story is. I thought at minimum she had been doing yoga for a long time. I came to find out yesterday that she is a former acrobatic dancer. Amazing.

Sometimes knowing someone's story is seeing their soul.

I watched a short talk from Gabrielle Bernstein yesterday that got me thinking about who I am. Her lecture was entitled Authentic Power, and she spoke about unblocking the power within yourself versus trying to gain power from outside yourself. I've long thought there was something inside me that was capable of changing the world -- specifically, helping women. And I've been waiting for just the right inspiration to know what direction to go in. As I predicted, things in my life are shifting in the new year. Energy is moving. Things are happening, especially in my career. But still no one is handing me direction on a silver platter. Gabrielle's talk was like a smack to the head -- no one is going to hand me the answers. The answers, the right direction, my purpose, they're all inside of me.

The most important thing I can do is to live my life authentically. To be the person I was born to be, and not try to be anyone else.

It never ceases to amaze me when I get a strong response to a blog post. I got a flood of responses to my post from Monday about expressing love to people. Emails, Facebook comments, and comments on the blog itself just kept flooding in. The comment from my coworker whose boyfriend just passed away brought me to my knees. I saw with crystal clarity that the words I write here -- even though they're off-the-cuff, straight from the heart, and sometimes a bit random -- matter. They make people feel less alone, they connect people, they sometimes inspire people and they always remind people that love is the most important thing.

That's me. That's my authentic self. This meandering blog, this peek inside the heart of a woman who lost the greatest love she's ever known and still continued to find love that inspires her every day, this is me.

A little more of me gets uncovered here every day, and a little more gets unblocked. I don't know what direction I'm heading. I don't know what I'll be doing in ten years. But I'm taking the wrapping off of my self bit by bit. I love what has emerged. And I'm excited to see what else I uncover.

1 comment:

  1. I keep visiting your site, and encounters many interesting words, I also believe in God and He comforts me and gives me peace, and sometimes I wonder what is the purpose behind all this so you know where to go (like your ). To bring a word of encouragement and testimony of what God can do. Your idea of ​​writing a book is great.
    Greetings from here
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete